The Asia and the Pacific region is one of the most vulnerable regions to climate change impacts in the world. Women are extremely sensitive to these changes given their lack of access to essential resources such as land, finance or information. Because the nexus between gender and climate change is often underestimated, UN Women and UN Environment jointly created the EmPower project. Targeting Bangladesh, Cambodia and Vietnam, EmPower aims to build women’s resilience facing climate change, over a period of five years (2018-2022) with the financial support of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency. Read more
- Event: Making connections that matter: Gender and climate commitments, 9 July 2021
- Gender integration in renewable energy policy - A guideline for renewable energy policy and decision makers
- Costing Options for Measuring Gender Equality in Climate Action
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Rural Women and Energy Enterprises
- Review of gender-responsiveness and disability-inclusion in disaster risk reduction in Asia and the Pacific
- Annual Report 2019: Reaching for Resilience
- The impact of COVID-19 on rural women and enterprises: A rapid socio-economic assessment in Bangladesh, Cambodia and Viet Nam by the EmPower project
As Bangladesh battles COVID-19 and the aftermath of Super Cyclone Amphan, women’s...
Satkhira district was one of the hardest hit areas in the country. The cyclone washed away embankments, mud homes and fisheries, which thousands of families relied upon for their livelihoods, and sanitation infrastructures collapsed.
Can renewable energy give climate-displaced women in Bangladesh a new beginning?
It is nightfall in the village of Char Baghutia in Manikganj district in central Bangladesh. Twenty-seven-year-old Miriam is hunched over a rickety old sewing machine, under a single incandescent lamp, with one hand over the cloth and...
Viet Nam’s journalists learn how to report on women and risks of climate change
Hue, Viet Nam — Two dozen Vietnamese journalists are now able to better report on how women can help prepare for and mitigate the effects of natural disasters, thanks to a training co-organized by UN Women. Empower Women for...